Risotto means a whole lot of stirring. Some cooks find that meditative, others find it tedious, but most diners are impressed by the commitment and results. The arugula and sausage add pungent balance to the rice's creamy comfort. This dish is perfect for a warm spring evening. Serve with a bottle of white wine if you'd like.
Cook Time: 50-55 minutes
3 1/2 cups Stock
8 oz Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese, grated
3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 lb Wild Harmony Hot Italian Sausage
1 medium Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
3/4 cup White Wine or Stock
1 1/2 cups Arborio Rice
1 teaspoon fine grained Sea Salt
Fresh ground Black Pepper to your preference.
1 bag Little River Arugula
1. In a small sauce pan warm 3 1/2 cups stock. There is no need to boil or simmer, simply warm. Leave on heat.
2. Grate cheese and set aside.
3. In a large pot with high sides, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium high heat.
4. Brown sausage for 5-6 mins. Stir occasionally to crumble sausage and brown evenly. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Melt remaining butter.
6. Stir in onion. Cook for 6-7 minutes or until translucent, stirring often so that onion does not burn.
7. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir once or twince.
8. Stir in arborio rice and salt. Cook for 5 minutes until toasted and golden, stirring often.
9. Stir in 3/4 wine or stock. Cook for approximately 3 minutes until liquid is absorbed, stirring often.
10. Add approximately 1/2 cup warmed stock (most soup ladles hold around 1/3 cup), stirring often until rice absorbs liquid.
11. Continue adding stock 1/2 cup at a time stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding next 1/2 cup.
12. Before adding last 1/2 cup, fold in arugula. Add last 1/2 cup stock, stir until absorbed. Rice should be cooked through but not mushy.
13. Remove from heat. Fold in sausage and cheese. Taste and add as much black pepper as you'd like.
14. Serve with a fresh salad.